Tuesday, February 27, 2007

E's Tofu Breakfast Wraps & Breakfast Potatoes


On my birthday, E was kind enough not only to hook me up with a vegan ice cream cake but to also cook me one of the best breakfasts I've had in a long long time.

After much hemming and hawwing over what I wanted him to make, I settled on breakfast burritos. I've been a long-time breakfast-burrito whore (I used to get them at McD's all the time in high school--yes, back in the day, I worked for and ate at my arch-enemy's; thank god the times have changed), and we have pancakes fairly frequently, so I was, needless to say, all over that idea.

I gave him the following demanding guidelines for said breakfast burritos: they needed to have tofu, mushrooms, and fake-sausage. Other than that, he could experiment as much as he liked. And experiment he did, toying with a recipe from Vegan Faminly Favorites and coming up with this gloriously delicious recipe.

Hot damn if they weren't the best damn breakfast burritos I've had. Hands down. I'd like to say it was because I knew that there was a bit of love baked in, but shit--I think it was just the mad skillz of the cook.

So yeah, if you eat no other breakfast this year, let it be this one.

E's Tofu Breakfast Wraps


INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 T. olive oil

  • 1 lb firm tofu, drained, patted dry and mashed

  • 1 small yellow onion, diced

  • 1/2 green bell pepper diced

  • 1/2 red bell pepper diced

  • 1 jalapeno diced

  • 1/2 tube Gimme Lean sausage style

  • 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced

  • 1/4 t. turmeric

  • 1/2 t. salt

  • 1 package whole wheat tortillas

  • Black-bean salsa (or any other type you prefer)

DIRECTIONS

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet until hot. Add mashed tofu and allow to cook for about three minutes (or until lightly browned). Meanwhile, place the Gimme Lean in another frying pan as you would cook veggie crumbles, etc., until lightly browned. Add all peppers, onion, garlic, turmeric, salt, and sausage to the tofu. Stir together then cook for 8 minutes on low-medium heat until vegetables are cooked. Spoon mixture into warm tortillas, add some salsa, and serve!

E's Breakfast Potatoes


INGREDIENTS:
  • 3 large potatoes, diced

  • 1/4 onion, diced

  • 1 T. olive oil

  • generous portion of freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS

Heat oil in large frying pan until quite hot (over medium-high flame). Add potatoes, grind lots of fresh pepper over the potatoes, and cook for awhile, turning them from time to time, until they are brown on all sides. Once all potatoes are browned, add the onions. Continue to cook until the potatoes are cooked through (this could take 15 minutes). Don't worry if they turn dark brown. They are best that way. Once the potatoes are cooked through (i.e., soft enough to eat), remove from flame, scoop onto dish, and enjoy!

No comments: