Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Nanners Banannerston Peanut-Sauce


One of my very worst food habits is buying bananas and not eating them before they get nastily ripe. Which was why I was so nerded up by the frozen bananas idea that I stumbled across in the Vegetarian Times, and which I've sinced started using to make popsicles (check these babies out!):



Well, earlier this week was another such example of my complete and utter failure in the world of banana-consumption. And the problem is, once the bananas get past a certain ripeness-point, I can't eat them without gagging. So lately, I've been trying to mush them up and use them in other foods, that way they don't go to waste. With this logic in mind, and with a hearkening back to my childhood when my absolute favorite lunch was a nice scrumptious peanut-butter-and-banana sandwich, I thought: why the hell not whip up some sort of Thai-ish stir-fry sauce with one of my uber-ripe bananas?

The end result was quite yummy--I poured it over a stirfry that consisted of rice-noodles, grilled tofu, spinach, and peanuts. I wasn't quite so pleased with the stirfry itself, but the sauce is quite good. Next time I'll probably incorporate some sweet veggies since I think they'd work well with this mildly-sweet and tropical-tasting sauce: perhaps some peapods and/or sweet peppers.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 very ripe banana, mashed

  • 2 T. soy sauce

  • 3 T. natural peanut butter

  • 1 T. hot water

  • Juice from 1/2 a lemon (or lime)

  • 1 T. brown sugar

  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced

  • A dash or two of cayenne pepper

DIRECTIONS

Whisk all of the above ingredients together in a bowl. Pour over stirfry or use as a peanutty salad-dressing. Definitely nice with some spinach-greens. Makes enough for about 2-4 servings of stirfry.


Oh, and this sauce is named after my lovely cat Franny who has somehow developed the nickname Nanners Banannerston. (And it also gives me an excuse to post a few gratuitous pics of her. Enjoy.)



No comments: