Thursday, April 03, 2008

Red Lentil Soup with Lemon


I made this so long ago that I almost kind of forgot the how where when why of it.

But thankfully I found the link--thankfully because it was a really damn good soup recipe, and thus, it would be a shame not to be able to share it.

I'm such a sucker for lentils lately, and this soup just compounded my obsession. It is fiery and yet perky (from the lemon). And it is lentilicious. *Tip of the hat to Everybody Likes Sandwiches for her mad lentil skills*

My only word of warning: it is one spicy-assed mothafucka, so if you're wussy in that regard, you may wanna cut back on the chili powder and cayenne pepper.

Oh, and I had a leek I had to use up, so I subbed in a leek for part of the onions. Sue me.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 T. olive oil

  • 1 large onion, chopped (*OR* 1 sm. onion, chopped + 1 leek, white part thinly sliced)

  • 5 garlic cloves, minced

  • 1 T. tomato paste

  • 2 t. ground cumin

  • salt to taste

  • 1/4 t. ground black pepper

  • 1/2 t. cayenne powder

  • 1/2 t. (mexican) chili powder (I just used regular)

  • 4 c. vegetable broth

  • 1 c. red lentils

  • 1 large carrot, peeled into shreds (or a handle of matchstick carrots from the bag)

  • Juice of 1 lemon

  • 3 T. chopped fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS

Heat oil in a large heavy pot and saute garlic and onions until wilty. Stir in tomato paste, cumin, salt, pepper, cayenne and chili powder until fragrant. Pour in broth, red lentils and carrots.

Simmer until lentils and carrots are tender, about 20 minutes. Add lemon juice and parsley and serve in deep bowls.

(Recipe from Everybody Likes Sandwiches)

No comments: