Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Pasta Carbonara


                                    from Urban Vegan


I've mentioned that I've been enjoying having people cook for me lately. But even moreso, I've been enjoying having people to cook for.

Last week I whipped up the Sweet Chili Lime Tofu for Mo, P, and N-A. It was a muggy night. The air was thick with rain. Nina Simone was sauntering out of my speakers. And it was all about good food and company and winning $5. Unfortunately, I wasn't overly-enthusiastic with the results this time around--I don't know if doubling the recipe f-ed things up or what, but it just didn't have that magical week-long-orgasm-type ring to it that it had the first-time round. It was good, but it wasn't positively DRIPPING with juicy pockets of explosive flavor. Then again, perhaps it's just difficult not to become SUPER critical of one's cooking when cooking for others. Hard to say. I *DID*, however, make up for that fact by whipping up the VegNews Peanut Butter Chocolate Cheesecake which really just flat-out rocks.

Then Sunday night, concert plans fell through, so I ended up inviting N-A over for dinner. I'd been wanting to try this recipe for a while, and since N-A's an omni veg-in-training (or at least will be once I'm through with him... *Planting my spike-heel firmly on his chest and cracking my whip in the air*), I figured it'd be fun to whip up something creamy and meaty that wasn't at all creamy or meaty. I had bookmarked this recipe a few weeks ago, and then in my more recent blog-perusing, I noticed someone else gushing bountifully about how good it was. So I was like, Fuck yes. This is the one.

The recipe's pretty much as easy as your mom is around any man under the age of 30 (SMACK). But it definitely is not for the weak-hearted by way of fat-content. I mean, dear lord almighty, SIX tablespoons of vegan margarine???????? That's a fricking lot. But man muthafuckin alive is it GOOD. N-A actually looked up at me with an expression of surprise after the first bite, that's how tasty it is. And it's decadent, and smoky, and sultry, and just DAMN well worth the calories and fat. At least once in a while.

And yes: Urban Vegan noted it as a good recipe for guests, and I second that, as this will have any doubting omni- on your side pretty much immediately. And if that's NOT the case, I can just lend you my spike-heels and dominatrix whip. That will change their mind. Believe you me. Maybe I'll even throw in my nipple clamps for good measure. We'll see.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 lb. spaghetti, fettucine or linguine

  • 1 T. extra virgin olive oil

  • 1/4 c. dry white wine

  • 5 to 6 oz. vegan bacon, chopped fine

  • 1 T. kudzu root, cornstarch, or arrowroot

  • 1 1/3 c. soy milk

  • 6 T. vegan margarine

  • 3 heaping T. nutritional yeast

  • 1 tsp salt (optional--if your "bacon" is uber-salty, you may want to leave this out)

  • Additional nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan for sprinkling

  • Freshly ground pepper

DIRECTIONS

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Dissolve kudzu/cornstarch/arrowroot and salt in soymilk and set aside.

In large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Saute tempeh for about 5 minutes, or until heated through (You should be able to smell the smoky aroma). Turn up the heat to medium-high and pour in the wine to deglaze the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes, and transfer tempeh to another dish.

Melt butter in the same saucepan over medium-low heat and sprinkle in nutritional yeast. Whisk together to make a roux, then slowly whisk in the milk. Turn heat to low, and cook until thick, whisking occasionally--about 15 minutes. Add the tempeh, turn heat down very low, and simmer covered for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (If too thick, you can always add a tiny bit of wine to thin it down.) Add pepper to taste.

Toss over drained pasta and sprinkle generously with more nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan.


4 large or 6 small servings

(from the Urban Vegan)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I make this recipe all the team- so good, and so filling. Thanks!