Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Two Soups for the Price of YOUR FACE

Sometimes when I can't think of something stunningly witty or whimsical to say about a recipe, I put off posting about it.

And then when I finally realize I haven't yet posted about it, I realize I can't remember exactly what I thought about it, for all intents and purposes.

This first soup is one such recipe. I can't remember too much about it, other than thinking "I don't know that I'm gonna like this all that much" the day I made it, and then "Well, fuck--looks like I was wrong" the day after, when I had it for lunch and enjoyed it, and also "What the fuck is marmite?" somewhere in between.

More specific things I *do* remember: I was happy that this soup wasn't stabby--you know, cuz of the thyme. So thank you, Angela, for suggesting I use a mortar and pestle to ground up my stabby spices for soup. You are brilliant, and you shan't be forgotten.

Also: I don't know if I like thyme as much as I thought! Either that, or maybe I should've just halved the quantity.

And mmmm: good with bread.

So that is my slightly senile synopses of soup #1. (Check out that alliteration, my bitches!)



WARMING LENTIL SOUP


                                       from Veg Bitch


INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 yellow onions, chopped

  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced

  • 1 T. olive oil

  • 1 T. tomato paste (concentrate)

  • 2 medium carrots, chopped into 1 cm (1/2 inch) cubes

  • 3/4 c. red lentils, rinsed

  • 1 14-oz. can chopped tomatoes

  • 4 c. vegetable stock

  • 2 bay leaves

  • 1 T. paprika powder

  • 1 t. thyme

  • 1/2 T. marmite (optional, I use it for depth of flavour)

  • 1/4 c. parsley, finely chopped

  • salt and pepper

  • soyghurt for serving

DIRECTIONS

In a medium size soup pot over medium heat, fry onion and garlic in the oil for a few minutes until the onion is translucent but not brown. Add the tomato paste and cook for another minute or so. Add carrots, lentils and chopped tomato and cook for a few minutes. Add vegetable stock, bay leaves, paprika, thyme and marmite and cook the soup for about 10 minutes until the carrots are softened. Season with salt and pepper and add parsley.

Serve steaming hot with a dollop of soyghurt in the bowl and some bread and a nice salad on the side.

Serves 4 to 6.

(Recipe from Veg Bitch)



* * * * * * *



Soup #2 I remember more vividly, though its memory is also starting to wane.

Things I remember:

I kind of kept forgetting what EVOO stood for and would have to doublecheck. This happened two or three times. Ultimately, I decided I liked the abbreviation because I couldn't help but want to pronounce it phonetically. And when you do so, it sounds kind of like a child saying "Evil." And you can't beat a soup that has evil as the first ingredient.

Secondly: Fennel seeds. I think I may love you in soup. You are a brilliant little tweak of freshness aftertaste. Kind of like I just brushed my teeth with soup. This pleases me.

Other thoughts: This was damn good. I DO remember vividly thinking THAT. I think this may be one of my favorite quinoa-vehicles. Sometimes I get sick of quinoa and a little *mocking voice* "I'm quinoa--I'm so good for you but look creepy like octopus suctions. Meh meh meh." But other times, like in the case of this soup, I want to run off with quinoa into the sunset.

Marjoram: You are still a god of spices. But I think fennel seed kind of whooped your ass this round.

Eggplant--when cooked perfectly, you are buttery and good and I wish my legs were soft and supple like you but then I probably wouldn't be able to support myself. And also that would be creepy.

So yes: all random thoughts aside. This soup: yum-fucking-tastic.

Hurrah!



EGGPLANT QUINOA SOUP

                                       from MeloMeals


INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 to 4 T EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil)


  • 1 large onion, diced


  • 8 cloves garlic, pressed


  • 1/2 t. red pepper flakes


  • 2 t. dried basil


  • 1 t. dried marjoram


  • 1/2 t. fennel seeds


  • 1/2 t. dried rosemary


  • pinch salt/pinch pepper


  • 2 T. balsamic vinegar


  • 1 medium eggplant, skinned & diced


  • 1 29-oz. can white bean of choice


  • 8 c/ water or stock


  • vegetable bouillon cube if using water


  • 28 oz. canned tomato (whatever you have on hand, crushed, sauce, stewed, whole--I used diced I think)


  • 1/2 c. quinoa (I think I may have used 1 c.)


  • Salt/Pepper to taste


  • Fresh Basil (optional, but VERY good--I used)


  • Baby Spinach (optional--I did not)


  • 1 t. EVOO and 1 T. nutritional yeast per bowl for finishing (optional--I used the latter, and it was damn good)

    • DIRECTIONS

      In a heavy bottomed 4 quart pot over medium heat add the oil, onions, dried spices and a pinch salt/pepper. Sautee for several minutes then add garlic. When the onions are translucent, deglaze with vinegar.

      Add the eggplant, beans and water or stock, tomatoes. Bring to a boil for several minutes, then turn heat down to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

      Turn off heat, add quinoa, around a cup of fresh basil and cover for 20 minutes.

      Taste and adjust seasonings.

      Serve with more fresh basil, baby spinach and a teaspoon of evoo and lots of freshly ground pepper!

      Serves 6+ ish.

      (Recipe from Melomeals)

      No comments: