Monday, March 23, 2009

I Still Hate Lettuce Salads: What You Gonna Do About It? HUH?!?!



                                       from Veganomicon
Okay:

So:

I still hate lettuce salads.

And I've decided: those of you who chastise/d me for not giving them a chance can suck it.

Also: I've decided to overuse colons in this post. Which: you may have already noticed.

Not colons like



But colons like : :

'Cause it's my prerogative to do so.

Just like it's my prerogative to hate lettuce salads.

Which: getting back to my main point: I still do.

And I tried. I really did try this time.

I read raves about the Veganomicon caesar salad recipe on several blogs last week, so I was like: Lindy Loo, you will GIVE lettuce salads a second chance and try this recipe out.

And I did.

And the dressing is in fact great.

But even with the great dressing: lettuce salads still bore me.

I sat on the couch, eating the salad from a large bowl, and I tried to be enthusiastic about it. But the whole time I was thinking: Salad, you are not filling at all--both mentally OR physiologically--and I surely will be hungry in an hour. UNSATISFACTORY.

And such was the case.

At work: the same.

So yes: I am officially throwing in the towel.

Salads: you can suck it.

Nonetheless:

Here's the Caesar dressing recipe.


INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/3 c. blanched, slivered or sliced almonds

  • 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed

  • 3/4 lb. silken tofu (fresh, not vacuum packed is best)

  • 1/4 c. olive oil

  • 3 T. fresh lemon juice

  • 1 heaping T. capers

  • 4 t. caper brine

  • 1 t. sugar

  • 1/2 t. dry mustard powder

  • salt to taste

DIRECTIONS

In a food processor or blender, pulse the sliced almonds till crumbly. Empty ground almonds into an air tight container that you'll be using to store the finished dressing in. Place garlic, tofu and oil in food processor or blender and blend until creamy. Add lemon juice, capers, caper brine, sugar, dry mustard powder and pulse until blended. Adjust lemon juice and salt to taste. Pour into container with the ground almonds and whisk to combine. Cover and allow dressing to chill in the refrigerator for a minimum 30 minutes, optimally 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Number of Servings: 4

(Recipe from Veganomicon, posted at SparkRecipes)

1 comment:

Masha said...

Aw, but lettuce salads suck, don't let them give salads in general a bad name!